I was hoping to have my Force Awakens review ready for you today, but it’ll probably have to wait until Saturday or Sunday. I want to make it a good one.
Just a few thoughts and notes to tide you over:
- I saw The Big Short and The Good Dinosaur yesterday. The former was very, very good (on the cusp between ***½ and ****), but I want to give it a second viewing to be sure. The latter, however, has to be one of Pixar’s weakest films to date, and it only manages a low *** from me. Gorgeous animation, mediocre story.
- I’m seeing Carol today. High hopes for that. Might put that review out for Monday. (Might just hit you guys with Carol and Star Wars at about the same time. We’ll see.)
- Monday I’m seeing The Hateful Eight (in 70mm!!!). I’ll be getting a review of that out as soon as possible.
- Joy (ugh), Concussion, The Danish Girl (UGH), and Youth will all be showing near me starting tomorrow. I’ll try to see and review all of them, though most of them will end up in a package review.
- I swear I’ll get around to Hard to Be a God one of these days.
- Sobering note: as of this moment I’ve seen 69 films for 2015, and have only 5 **** films. I might not even break 10 this year. I don’t know how much of it is me and how much of it is the cinema, but this has been an odd year. I’ll get into this more when I do my Top 20/Bottom 10 list.
- Parting note: Home Alone 2: Lost in New York is better than Home Alone. I’ve seen each enough times (I couldn’t even begin to count how many) to say.