So what if we’re only 55 days into the new year?
So what if I’ve only seen two 2015-eligible films (and those two films are Jupiter Ascending and Old Fashioned)?
So what if the next awards are a full year away?
It’s never too early to start.
I’m only predicting the four major categories at this point. I’ll do my first serious predictions sometime after Cannes.
Also, at this point, I really have no idea how I’ll classify certain films. Is Gangs of Wasseypur a Drama or a Musical/Comedy? It’s certainly not a comedy, but in true Bollywood fashion, it has musical numbers. So I’m not sure what to do there. I’ll put it in the Musical/Comedy category for the moment just because that category is pretty weak right now.
Best Picture – Drama:
- Hard to Be a God
- The Hateful Eight
- In the Heart of the Sea
- Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter (not sure if this is a drama or a very dark comedy)
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- Midnight Special
- The Revenant
- The Tribe
Best Picture – Musical/Comedy:
- The Forbidden Room
- Gangs of Wasseypur
- Inside Out
- The Lobster
- Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
- The Peanuts Movie
- A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence
- Straight Outta Compton
Really hope I can beef up this category by the end of the year.
Best Director – Drama:
- Aleksei German, Hard to Be a God
- Alejandro González Iñárritu, The Revenant
- George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
- Quentin Tarantino, The Hateful Eight
- David Zellner, Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter
Best Director – Musical/Comedy:
- Roy Andersson, A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence
- Mia Hansen-Løve, Eden
- Anurag Kashyap, Gangs of Wasseypur
- Yorgos Lanthimos, The Lobster
- Guy Maddin, The Forbidden Room
Best Actor – Drama:
- Tom Courtenay, 45 Years
- Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
- Jack O’Connell, ’71
- Michael Shannon, Midnight Special
- Leonid Yarmolnik, Hard to Be a God
Totally guessing here.
Best Actor – Musical/Comedy:
- Manoj Bajpai, Gangs of Wasseypur
- RJ Cyler, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
- Colin Farrell, The Lobster
- Félix de Givry, Eden
- Gregg Turkington, Entertainment
I really have no idea here. I’m impressed that I actually scrounged up 5 contenders.
But I had to at least predict I’d nominate Neil Hamburger. Because he’s Neil fucking Hamburger.
Best Actress – Drama:
- Rinko Kikuchi, Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter
- Yana Novikova, The Tribe
- Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
- Charlize Theron, Mad Max: Fury Road
- Karidja Touré, Girlhood
I really doubt Novikova actually makes it on, but I had to get to five somehow.
Best Actress – Musical/Comedy:
- Olivia Cooke, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
- Greta Gerwig, Eden
- Huma Qureshi, Gangs of Wasseypur
- Meryl Streep, Ricki and the Flash
- Rachel Weisz, The Lobster
I just barely made five here.